Monday, May 3, 2010

On Saturday, I got news from one of the members of my Newbery committee. We served together in 2008 to select the 2009 winner and honor books. The news was very sad: our committee chair, Rose, had passed away on Friday.

We knew she was ill; she had been wearing a wig in the summer of 2009 when the award banquet took place. But of course we didn't ask. Rose was very private, and I'm sure she would have shared anything she wanted us to know. None of us would have guessed that this would happen so soon.

Rose was lovely and vibrant. I'd like to share a couple of photos of her...



Early-morning phone calls (with the entire committee huddled close, trying to hear the tinny speaker phone) to the winning authors to share the news. This was probably the 2nd most exciting event of my life (second only to our wedding day), and I would imagine that Rose would say the same.



Rose with author Neil Gaiman, winner of the 2009 Newbery Award.
Rose, you will be missed by many.

No comments: