Friday, January 29, 2010

Mr. Postman


Today I went to the post office at lunchtime to mail a few goodies to this friend. I recognized the man behind the counter because he's there almost every time I go (which is a lot-- the post office is about two blocks from work, and I love all things mail-related). Today he asked if I wanted to get a post office box. I said, "No thank you, I don't live in Middleton." He said that he didn't either; he lives in Janesville. Janesville is about an hour away.
So of course, being my nosy self, I asked why he had such a long commute. He said that he had recently gone through a divorce, and the taxes in this area are too high for him. He said he had hoped to transfer to the Janesville post office but couldn't. He ended by saying that he's so close to retirement, it doesn't matter anyway.
I wished I could reach across the post office counter and give him a hug.

No comments: