Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Overheard on the Bus

I got on the bus after work yesterday and sat down toward the back. I wasn't really paying attention. The bus wasn't crowded, and there was someone sitting a few rows behind me, at the very back of the bus. A couple of stops later, someone else got on and sat down by the person in the back. This was the conversation I overheard:

Person 1: This is the last day I'll be seeing you on the bus. I got a new job, and I'm moving to New York.

Person 2: Whereabouts?

Person 1: Manhattan. It's for a company I used to work for. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It's going to be amazing. I fly out on Thurdsay.

Person 2: Do you know where you're going to live?

Person 1: I got a great place, just five blocks from my new office.

(long pause)

Person 1: What are you thinking?

Person 2: I'm just thinking that I've always wanted to kiss you, and now I'll never have the chance.

Person 1: Oh, no, you need someone much taller, with better legs.

(short pause, while I assume Person 1 rolls up at least one pant leg)

Person 1: See? My legs are all pasty and skinny.

Person 2: No, your legs are perfect.


Honestly, it was all I could do not to turn around and watch the scene unfold. Among other things, I love the free entertainment available on most public buses. Unfortunately, I had to get off the bus right after the perfect legs comment, so I have no idea what happened. Best of luck to Person 1 at your new job in Manhattan!

3 comments:

Laura said...

oh. my. gosh. As soon as I saw the title of this post I opened the window because I knew I had to comment on it. Love.

Cailin said...

wow, i don't think i would have been able to keep myself from sneaking a look. also, i might have turned around and said, "then kiss already!!!!" yay for public transportation.

Kerri said...

I loved, loved, loved this! (and I'd like to take the time to say that I *always* enjoy your blog posts. Your blog is filed under "fun" in my blogroll, and I always look forward to reading it!)