Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This is just to say



We picked up these plums last weekend at the farmer's market, and they've been ripening in a bowl on the counter ever since. I just love them. They remind me so much of:




  • My grandma and the plum cake she used to make


  • This scrumptious poem by William Carlos Williams:


This is Just to Say


I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

2 comments:

Anna said...

That reminded me of the This American Life episode with the takeoffs of that poem: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made/

Do you have that plum cake recipe? I was thinking of making something like that for the party this weekend.

ErinM said...

I have read that poem before. Unfortunately, I have no idea when or where I read it...