Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cake Confidential

Have I ever told you how much I love cake? I adore all sweets, actually, but cake and I have always shared a special bond. My mom likes to tell a story about my two-year-old self sneaking into the house during a 4th of July party, tearing the plastic marching band off the top of the cake, and digging into the fluffy white frosting. I'm still willing to go to great lengths for a slice...

Karl and I got married in late September of 2008. On Labor Day weekend that year, we went boating with some friends on the Wisconsin River. We stopped for dinner at a restaurant/bar/supper club overlooking the river, where there happened to be a wedding reception happening. If you're anything like me, the word "wedding" immediately brings to mind a much more important word: "cake."

Naturally, I wandered in to the reception area just to look around-- you know, to get some ideas for our wedding (which, three weeks away, was fully planned, mind you). I made a hopefully subtle beeline for the dessert table. The groom was standing nearby. I congratulated him and explained that my fiancee and I were planning our wedding and trying to decide on a wedding cake vendor. Where had they gotten their cake, I asked, and were they happy with it? I totally wasn't listening as the groom told me which bakery had supplied their cake. Price, delivery, flavor options, blah, blah, blah... My ears perked up, though, when he said the magic words and my plan fell neatly into place: "You should try a piece!" Oh, no, I couldn't. It's your wedding. "No, really, you should try some. Here, let me cut you a piece." Well, okay, if you insist (sneakily grinning inside as he lopped off a humongous slice). Mmmmmm....

And that, my friends, is how it's done. See if you can score some free cake for yourself this weekend!

1 comment:

Lady Valentine said...

Loving cake must come along with being Valentines. My trick was to cater wedding receptions. I got to try a piece (or at least a crumb from an ugly piece) at every reception I managed. Bloom Bake Shop just beat out Rolling Pin in my book. =)