3 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 t minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1-2 portobello mushroom caps, chopped (I use two-- the more the merrier!)
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms of any type, sliced
1/2 cup pearl barley
6 cups water (or use chicken stock for a richer taste)
2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker; saute the onion until soft (about five minutes), then add celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook for ten minutes or until onion begins to turn golden, stirring often.
- Add all of the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms release their moisture. Stir in barley, water, salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the pressure to drop naturally.
- Ditch the bay leaf and serve garnished with fresh parsley.