- venison chili in the crockpot
- the chance to wrap up birthday presents for our nephew's 2nd birthday party
- a not-so-little treat I just ordered for our house... I'll tell you all about it when it gets here!
- the library
- Christmas movies, especially this one!
- the Thirty Days of Thankfulness project (which I did not invent); it has kept me thinking all month long
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Monday, November 28, 2011
That's right, twenty percent off at my hometown St. Vincent de Paul store on Black Friday. My mom and I found a few treasures, including wrapping paper that I've already put to use. Whoever thought of thrift stores was a total genius.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
"Ya, but infinity only goes up to 'and beyond.'"
I'm thankful for all of the candid little comments I overhear on a regular basis at work. I'm not eavesdropping; a lot of kids just aren't really good at talking quietly.
Saturday, November 26, 2011
I'm thankful for our family and friends, and for what promises to be a delightful Christmas!
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
- We have a house to live in
- We have enough income to pay for our house
- Our bank (UW Credit Union) is fantastic
- My sweet husband is great at home repairs
- We live in a safe neighborhood within walking distance of lots of things, including the bus line, grocery stores, and a movie theater
- Karl and I have an emerging shared vision of how we want our house to be "someday"
- Our cozy fireplace is willing to work for us all winter long, keeping us happy and warm
- I get to wake up tomorrow and not have to leave the house to go to work... I took the day off and I'm looking forward to an around-the-house pie-baking jammie-wearing kind of day. Hooray!
Monday, November 21, 2011
I'm also thankful for a nice sunshiney run this morning, for friends who make me laugh, for fires in the fireplace, and for the fact that I don't own any clothing that says "ZUMBA" on it in rainbow colors. Unlike one of my Zumba classmates last night (not the teacher). Who knew they make parachute pants and matching tank tops with ZUMBA written all over them? I really was dying to know the back story on how that woman got her outfit. Where, when, and why, please.
Oh my gosh. Do a Google images search for "Zumba clothing."
Sunday, November 20, 2011
- the rest of the people in the class, who seemed just as uncoordinated as me
- the opportunity to leave early (during a water break)
- an open lane in the pool, where I went to finish working out. No dorky music there, thank you very much.
Saturday, November 19, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
- Items crossed off my to-do list
- A short Friday to-do list
- A two-day work week next week! (Well, okay, four days if you count Saturday and Sunday)
- The luxury of not needing to own two cars
- A really nice swim last night
- A brisk but sunny walk to the Post Office today
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
The people at urgent care last night were really nice. I got there fifteen minutes before they closed, which I apologized for about a thousand times. They were all super cheerful and made me feel like I wasn't standing between them and their cozy houses and families (even though I was). I hope I treat library patrons the same way when they come in just before closing!
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Today I'm thankful for:
- My wonderful husband, who got up early to drive me to work
- The gorgeous, gorgeous weather (I ran home yesterday, with no jacket or gloves)
- The promise of a Chirstmas tree in the near future (I cannot wait to decorate for Christmas!)
- My Tuesday schedule at work, which includes two storytimes and an after-school knitting club
- Working in walking distance of the Post Office
- Approved vacation for the day before Thanksgiving! I work on Saturday and Sunday, but I'll have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off. Yay!
Monday, November 14, 2011
Last night I was talking with some friends about curtains. At our house, we still have the boring blinds that came with the house. Snooze. But I've been searching and searching for the perfect curtains-- or at least ones that I like. Nothing too sophisticated. Nothing too drapey. Just something fun and colorful. A few months back, I met the curtains of my dreams at a coffee shop. They were darling: floral but not too floral, colorful but not overwhelming. The barista told me the curtains were from Urban Outfitters, so of course I immediately tried to order them... only to find out that they were discontinued (why a company would discontinue the most darling curtains ever is beyond me). After our curtain chat yesterday, I decided to check out the Urban Outfitters site just to see what else they've come up with. And guess what? THEY'RE BACK! The perfect curtains are now available... backordered, but whatever. I just have to do some measuring at home and then order them. I cannot wait. And let me just say that the photos on the website don't do these curtains justice. They're way cuter than they look online. All that to say that I'm thankful for potential home improvements!
Saturday, November 12, 2011
For you curious readers who commented with questions:
1. Karl and I went to Luigi's, a new Food Fight restaurant near Sequoya Library, with Nichole and JM. I'll let you wait and read the full report on their blog, but for now, let's just say... go somewhere else. The best part was going next door for chocolate-dipped bananas for dessert and then checking out the self-check machines at the library (Nichole is a librarian, too; we love these things).
2. Photos of the miracle posters, taken in the driveway... there are 12 all together, but I'll just give you a little peek. They're by illustrator Brian Wildsmith and I think they were made in 1971. Each month features a different animal.
My friend Caitrin used to tell me that I was the world's worst photographer, because I was always cutting people's heads off in pictures. I guess that applies to turkeys, too (look on the left). Oops. Always room for improvement, I guess!
This one might be my favorite:
Friday, November 11, 2011
Garage roof dusted with snow :: Car heater turned up :: Knitting bag :: Teeny knitted gnome
I'm thankful for tons and tons of great ideas that were shared at yesterday's meeting (youth services librarians are a creative bunch, let me tell you!), and for the chance to play with Baby K, who is cruising around as if he's been walking all his life. He's also on the verge of talking... so fun.
Oh and I am thankful for the Meeting Miracle of yesterday. For a long time, I've been looking for a certain set of posters that we had when we were growing up. They're basically impossible to find. At yesterday's meeting, some people brought extra stuff to give away. I brought a really awesome tri-fold flannel board that we weren't using (it got snapped up right away) and two pitiful marionettes that no one wanted. The poor things are going to Goodwill later this weekend. But I scored-- you guessed it-- the entire set of posters. The whole set! They're not perfect but they're intact because they were laminated and honestly I think it was meant to be. I was so happy that I nearly hugged the librarian who put them in the swap pile. A Meeting Miracle, I tell you!
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
I'm thankful for:
- My co-workers, who are lovely to work with
- The teensy bit of sunlight remaining in the sky at 5pm
- A weekend, only two days away!
- The promise of a fire in the fireplace tonight
- The cutest little itty bitty gnome on my knitting needles
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
- Storytimes this morning
- My 'tween knitting club this afternoon
- Banjo class tonight!
- A husband who chops up butternut squash and helps me make delicious dinners
Monday, November 7, 2011
Today I'm thankful for:
- A reasonable to-do list
- A newly cleaned storage closet at work
- Fun ideas from other librarians
- Finding my pinking shears (they were in the storage closet)
Usually I work from noon till 9pm on Mondays, but today I'm working 9-5, which is AWESOME! I love it. You guessed it: I'm thankful for today's work schedule.
Sunday, November 6, 2011
It's not even six o'clock and my to-do list is basically finished! Hello knitting. Hello reading. Yes please.
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Friday, November 4, 2011
Thursday, November 3, 2011
And I'm thankful for the chance to hang out with two of the coolest kids ever, William and Henry, tonight!
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
- an indoor job
- hot tea
- wool socks
- my husband picking me up after work
Today is the birthday of my lovely friend Bridget, who passed away this spring after a courageous battle with cancer. I'm thankful for the chance to have dinner with her sweet husband, who lives in Portland but is coming through Madison, and friends tonight at one of Bridget's favorite restaurants.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Today I'm thankful for sunshine and leaves turning colors. I'm thankful that I got to drive to work today, which means that my commute was super short and I can go run a couple of errands at lunch (I'm buying tomatoes and ginger for slow cooker Palak Paneer, if you must know). I'm thankful for my husband, who was washing dishes as I left the house this morning, and who studies around the clock so that he can finish his nursing program.
And I'm thankful that Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team is back on in its full glory. Man, I love that show. We don't have cable, but the full episodes are available online. If you've ever secretly wanted to be a dancer or a cheerleader or a prancy-prance type of girl, you'll love it.